After moving recently, and kissing my outdoor kitchen area goodbye (I’m tearing up), I had to build a table or grill island for my Large Big Green Egg. After looking at a lot of options, this is the design I finally went with. It is a pretty easy build that will give you a lot of storage and a nice sized countertop. The following is a guide to start you down the path of building your own DIY Big Green Egg Table or Classic Joe Kamado Joe Table. This DIY Big Green Egg Table requires a few power tools and little time, but not a ton of skill. If you love your Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe, then give it a good home to hang out in. Having some counter space and storage for all of your grill grates and gadgets will make the next year of grilling and smoking a lot more fun!
This post is written for a Large Big Green Egg or Classic Joe Kamado Joe Smoker. If you want plans for an XL Big Green Egg or Big Joe smoker, I have XL Kamado Grill Table Plans here. I also have more Detailed Grill Table Plans for Large Kamado Smokers here for sale.
This grill table is built for a Large Big Green Egg or Classic Joe Kamado Joe with almost 3 ft of counter space on each side of the Kamado Smoker. I like a lot of space on each side to set pans and smoking equipment. The best part about building your own table is… you can customize the table any way you want. Feel free to make changes. I built this table entirely out of cedar material. You can use pine if you want to save some money, just make sure to seal it or have it under a canopy to extend its life. Let’s get started…
- 10″ Miter Saw such as the Dewalt 10″ Miter Saw. You can use a handheld circular saw, but highly reccommend buying a miter saw if you do not have one. It will save you tons of time and make building things a lot more fun.
- Corded or Cordless Jig Saw to make detailed and more difficult saw cuts. DeWalt makes an awesome cordless version which I own, or bosch makes a cheaper plug-in version. Both will get the job done… I love my DeWalt as it is super convenient, with plenty of power.
- Power Drill / Driver and such as the DeWalt Combo Kit. You will also need various drill bits, depending on the hardware you choose.
- Clamps or a friend to help you assemble the table. These Irwin 36″ Clamps are great for all purpose clamps when working on garage projects of all sorts. Grab at least 2, but I often find 4 are needed for most projects.
- Finish Nail Gun – You can get by with the Power Drill, but finish nail guns speed up installation of the trim and non-structural components. I have used this Bostitch Nail Gun Kit for years, and it is an awesome setup for the price.
- Pocket Hole Joining Kit – This is a nice to have tool for this project and others. If you your finished wood work to look awesome and custom, without the work… this Kreg Pocket Hole Joining kit is for you.
- Table Saw – it is not absolutely necessary, but a table saw makes ripping the 1×6 cedar planks a lot easier. You will have custom cut a few long pieces for the flooring and sides of the table saw. If you do not have a table saw, I would use a jig saw. If you want a nice saw that does not take up a lot of space in the garage, this Bosch Table Saw is a nice option. I have delta table saw that is a little larger, but makes larger projects easier.
DIY Big Green Egg Table Material List
- 2″ x 4″ x 8 ft Cedar
- 1″ x 6″ x 8 ft Cedar
- 1″ x 2″ x 8 ft Cedar
- 1″ x 4″ x 8 ft Cedar
- 1″ x 8″ x 8 ft Cedar
- 2 3/4″ Self Tapping Wood Screws
- 3 1/4″ Self Tapping Wood Screws
- 4 1/4″ Self Tapping Wood Screws
- 1.75″ Finish Nails or Finish Screws
- 4 Heavy Duty Casters and Mounting Hardware to mobilize your grill table
- Exterior Grade Wood Sealer if Desired
If you want Detailed Plans with Dimensions, Material Purchase Lists, and Cut Lists, you may want my E-Book: Build Your Own Large Kamado Grill Table or Build Your Own XL Kamado Grill Table, depending on your setup.
DIY Big Green Egg Table Videos
I did make a few videos showing the framing and all of the finishing touches for the Big Green Egg Table. You can find those below and on my youtube channel. Check them out if you like…
Building the DIY Big Green Egg Table
I think the best way to show you how to build this Green Egg Table is to show you a bunch of pictures, with some commentary. Below are the basic steps, showing the actual table I built. Scroll down to the bottom for more 3D images with dimensions for the framing. Cut and measure as you go to save yourself some time from fixing mistakes. I have rarely had success when cutting every piece up front… I always make a mistake… I mean I always “change the plans” on the fly.
Big Green Egg Table Plans
If you want detailed plans to build a table for a Large Big Green Egg, XL Big Green Egg, Classic Joe, or Big Joe Smoker, you can find all options available below for both sizes. The grill table plans contain detailed plans with dimensions, complete material lists, and detailed cut lists for each part of the project. If you are looking to save yourself some time, this is the way to do it.
I had a lot of fun building this table, but I will have a lot more fun putting it to work on the patio. Because I did not originally have a covered patio area, I ended up buying a large cover on amazon to keep it dry from the rain. It has kept it pretty dry during rain storms and I would recommend it for an inexpensive cover.
Good luck building your own Big Green Egg Table or Kamado Joe Table. If you have any specific questions, feel free to leave me a comment below. I would love to see any pictures of tables you build as well! Catch you next time… Keegan